If you are considering the Cangshan S1 Series 17-Piece knife set, you’ve come to the right place. As someone who owns this particular set, I’m giving you an honest and independent review.
About the Series
Cangshan Cutlery offers 24 different types or series of knives. This is the S1 Series, which is described as “sleek and modern, with elemental beauty.” The knives feature German steel, white handles, and a minimalist design. They are manufactured in Yangjiang China, where cutlery has been a tradition for over 1500 years.
What’s in the Box
This 17-piece set includes the 14 knives, honing steel, kitchen shears, and the walnut block.
- 2 3/4″ peeling knife
- 3 1/2″ paring knife
- 5″ serrated utility knife
- 5″ tomato/cheese knife
- 6″ boning knife
- 7″ hollow edge Santoku knife
- 8″ chef’s knife
- 8″ bread knife
- 8″ honing steel
- Six 5″ steak knife
- Come-apart all metal kitchen shears: 9″ long overall
- 16-Slot solid walnut knife block
Cangshan S1 Series Performance
Caution: these knives are sharp! I had to have a talk with my kids about safely handling these knives. Actually, I just said don’t! The knives feel solid in my hand, and the balance is comfortable. I tried each knife in different scenarios, and the set ably cut through whatever I threw at it.
Taking Care of the Knives
Cangshan supplies the following information about caring for this set:
- Hand-wash with warm water and a mild detergent. Rinse and dry immediately.
- Maintain the knife edge by regularly using the honing steel.
- Sharpen as needed. With regular use and honing, the knives may need sharpening once a year.
- Sharpen knife at home using a whetstone or knife sharpener, or have it sharpened by a professional.
- Store in a safe place to protect edge and prevent injury.
If you are looking for a relatively affordable, beautiful knife set, the Cangshan S1 Series 17 Piece Set might be ideal for you. The Cangshan website sells the set for $250, although better prices can be found on Amazon.